My Many Musings

Having an online home for sharing thoughts, stories, and ideas makes me happy.

Friday, July 14, 2006

And...in this corner...



I've read several books this summer. Yesterday I finished Consider Lily, a Christian chick lit book by Anne Dayton and May Vanderbilt. I read and enjoyed their first effort, Emily Ever After, so I was pleased to see that they had written another book together. Consider Lily tells the story of a humble department store heiress/tomboy whose true calling is writing. Lily starts a blog that turns into more of an online diary, but she is ignorant enough to use real names (!) and finds herself in trouble with her friends and family when her cover is blown. I can relate to her need to keep a diary, a venue for one's thoughts and a place to vent. I loved the San Francisco backdrop and the piece where Lily goes to a San Jose Sharks game with the singles group from her church. The story is funny, fun, and real. Lily's relationship with her grandmother is tender and sweet. I loved it!


In contrast, I'm now reading The Debutante Divorcee' by Plum Sykes. She paints a gor-geous picture of New York society gals enjoying their divorcee' lifestyles. Imagine having a divorce shower. Who knew? Books about New York City society always intrigue me because they are such a contrast to my own life and community. The characters couldn't be more different than me and my friends, so it's a chance to see "behind the curtain" of society ladies and their professional friends. This book has sucked me in and is entertaining me page by page.

There's a side of me that loves the naughty hijinks of the society girls, but there is another side of me that revels in the PG-rated fun of Lily and her friends. Both books are fun, easy reads.

3 Comments:

Blogger GeorgianaD said...

I'll have to read the Debutaunte Divorcee. I usually stick to Christian chick lit, but I'm always up for a good read from....out there!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Erlyne said...

LOL I find that suspending reality for the enjoyment of fiction (or movies or television) is fairly easy.

I just got Hip to be Square, prompted by your TBR pile. I'm hoping to get to it before, oh, September...

12:41 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Okay, so that's Consider Lily and Tied to the Tracks to add to my list.

I've never read Christian chick lit, in fact I didn't know it existed!

Will have to investigate...

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home