My Many Musings

Having an online home for sharing thoughts, stories, and ideas makes me happy.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

My first mammogram

Having turned 40 recently, I went in for my very first mammogram today. I'm such a rookie, I didn't even think to lock the little dressing room where I changed into the gown before they took the pictures. Good thing I was already covered when a nurse opened the door on me. ;o) I further embarrassed myself in the actual x-ray room with my flair for misunderstanding the technician's directions ("No, your other left." "Face forward. No forward as in facing me."). With a sigh, I returned to the waiting room while the technician confirmed that the pictures were clear.

Shortly after I sat down, another woman came in with her husband. From the discussion they were having with the staff, it was clear that this woman had already been through a rather rigorous mammogram herself and was resting before they took her in for more pictures. You see, she has breast cancer and she is having surgery very soon. The films they were getting were of very specific angles to aide the surgeons during her upcoming procedure. Here I was feeling a bit embarrassed and uncomfortable following my own mammogram when there was this woman, bravely facing one of the most cruel diseases known to women. I said a silent prayer of thanks for my many blessings and another for this courageous woman and her family.

Two years from now I will trudge back to radiology to have another mammogram. Next time I'll have the advantage of knowing what it's like, how uncomfortable it is, and, of course, that I do need to lock the door to the dressing room. More importantly, I'll remember that woman and her husband, and that will remind me of just how important it is do this procedure.

3 Comments:

Blogger Shelley said...

Hello, here from Georgiana's blog.

I haven't been through the mammogram process yet. I'm 37, so that will probably have to happen soon I'm sure. I'm not looking forward to it - I've heard it's a rather painful ordeal...

3:32 PM  
Blogger Erlyne said...

Thanks for visiting, Shelley.

It is fairly uncomfortable/borderline painful. The good news is that it only hurts for a few seconds. :o)

7:37 PM  
Blogger GeorgianaD said...

I haven't had one either (age 34.) But the way you describe it, you might be able to make a good story out of it!

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home